Thursday, July 10, 2008

Soccer with the Boys

The boys in Moldova never know quite what to think when I step onto the soccer field here. I am an enigma. Sure, girls can play volleyball and maybe even basketball, but they certainly do not play soccer. I am always polite and ask nicely if I can play. They look at each other, maybe laugh a little, but they usually consent. Maybe they say yes out of curiosity, or maybe it is because my soccer ball is so much better than theirs. I usually don't find myself shunned from the games. But, just because I am in the game, doesn't mean I am actually part of the game. They simply don't pass to me. It is not until they see me steal the ball away from some guy and make a brilliant pass at least five times that they realize that I can actually play. After that, the fun begins. The soccer here is serious, fast, and the fields are always treacherous. It is always a blast to play.

I have been spending the last few days at Christian youth camp here in Moldova. We have church service every morning and every night, but the afternoons are ours. And we play soccer! One of the village teams decided that I could play with them. They are nice guys and just wanted to indulge the American girl. I was proud and glad when they asked me to join their team for the rest of the week. The guys decided that our team simply couldn't win without me. Besides, all the other teams are impressed when they actually win with a girl playing. I just wanted to let you all know that I am doing all I can to break the glass ceiling here in Moldova. :)

1 comment:

shauna c said...

Sara, shame on you- soccer with the boys, riding in cars with boys! BOYS...boys...boys. Keep your focus!! haha.

I hope you are well and enjoying your summer.

Just so you know I tagged you on my blog. Check it out at: www.shaunainmoldova.blogspot.com